Easy and simple blueberry ricotta cake – this cake is easy to make, light, moist, fruity and not very sweet, it’s the best cake for berry lovers!
We love fruit cakes, especially cakes with berries in it. We also love ricotta, as I mentioned it, we are huge cheese lovers. However we have never eaten ricotta cake before. So when I found some leftover ricotta and a cup of fresh blueberries in my fridge, I was sure I have to make a cake from these.
The outcome of my attempt was a lovely moist cake which is so easy to make, looks very pretty and tastes amazing. We LOVED it! I honestly admit, we ate 3/4 of the cake while it was still warm, thank God I had time to take a couple of pictures. We both agreed this is the best cake I’ve ever made, it outruns even my famous New York cheesecake.
The cake was so easy to make: the batter was ready in 15 minutes, just whisk together the butter with the egg yolks, ricotta, vanilla, lemon juice and sugar, beat the egg whites, then gently mix them together and add the flour+baking powder, finally fold in the blueberries. Simple. right?
Keep on eye on the cake while it’s in the oven to not overcook it. Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, until the inserted toothpick comes out clean, but the inside of the cake is still moist, don’t let the cake to dry out. If your cake starts browning, remove it from the oven, cover it with foil and return to the oven. For a pretty finishing sprinkle the top of the cake with icing sugar before serving.
This ricotta vanilla cake has the right amount of sweetness, but the blueberries balance out the flavors, therefore the cake becomes perfectly delicious. Ricotta gives this cake a super soft and moist texture and a creamy taste, it harmonizes perfectly with slightly sour blueberries. This tasty and moist cake is as good as it looks! Enjoy!
- ½ cup | 120 g butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup | 110 g sugar + 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 eggs (seperated)
- 1 cup | 120 g ricotta
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup | 125 g flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup blueberry
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar (optional)
- Grease a 8"/20 cm springform cake pan, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C | 350°F.
- Separate the eggs.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar until is well combined, add the egg yolks, vanilla, lemon juice and ricotta, whisk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt. When it's starts to form peaks add 1 tablespoon sugar. Whisk until forms stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in half of the beaten egg whites to the ricotta mixture.
- Sift the half of the flour into the batter, add the baking powder, combine.
- Add the rest of the egg whites, stir in, then sift the flour and gently mix to combine.
- Gently fold in half of the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin. Place the remaining blueberry on top of the cake.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, until the inserted toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake. To prevent the top of the cake from burning, cover the cake with foil in the last 10 minutes.
- Leave the cake to cool in the baking pan.
- Before serving dust the top with icing sugar.
Recommended products for this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links
Pin it for later!
Looking for more cake recipes? Check these out!
Strawberry cottage cheese cake
Chocolate zucchini cake