Festive double chocolate zucchini bread with walnuts, a moist and delicious bread for Christmas
Finally it’s almost Christmas! I love this season. I really like to cook all day in the kitchen for my loved ones. I usually bake a lot of dessert during the holidays, we can even eat them all. This year I have decided I bake just a simple zucchini bread which will be decorated festive. Here it is! (actually just was, we ate it all in a couple of hours, so the next bread will be baked soon for Christmas).
This double chocolate zucchini bread is simple, the average zucchini bread I used to bake on busy weekends, but adding some whipping cream and candy cane on top of it, becomes a perfect Christmas cake. To be more festive, I added some chopped walnuts into the bread’s batter and I decorated the top with a couple of walnuts. It looks good, doesn’t it?
To prepare this easy bread you will need the following ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, vegetable oil, Greek yogurt, 2 eggs, vanilla, zucchini, chocolate chips, walnuts and a pinch of salt. Mix together all the dry ingredients, in a separate bowl whisk the wet ingredients, then mix together both, fold in the shredded zucchini and pour the batter in a loaf pan. That’s it, the bread is ready to be baked.
Our beloved moist chocolate zucchini bread is now in Christmas edition. It was a great decision to bake an easy, tried and tested dessert for Christmas; it’s never a disappointment if you make the family’s favourite bread or cake and decorate it to be festive, it will be good and will look good. It’s a win win, isn’t it?
Chocolate and walnuts make a great combination, chocolate, walnuts and whipped cream are even better, all these three in a slice of moist and delicious zucchini bread is almost heaven!
- 1⅔ cups shredded zucchini (2 small or 1½ medium sized zucchini)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnut
- pinch of salt
- For the festive topping
- ½ cup whipped (double) cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon crushed candy cane or peppermints
- handful of walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a loaf pan with butter, oil or cooking spray.
- Shred the unpeeled zucchini and transfer it into a colander, set it aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the solid ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- in a separate bowl whisk the eggs with the sugar, then add the oil, vanilla extract and greek yogurt, whisk until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the other bowl and mix it with the dry ingredients, until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, the chopped walnut and the shredded zucchini. Lightly squeeze the excess water out of zucchini before adding it into the batter, until the zucchini is still moist but doesn't drip.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, until the toothpick inserted comes out dry.
- When the bread is baked transfer it on a wire rack and allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the whipped cream and the powdered sugar, until is thickened, then spread it evenly on top of the completely cooled bread. Sprinkle the top of bread with crushed candy cane and decorate it with walnuts as you wish.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Pin it for later!