Easter recipes – part two: Our Easter dessert was an amazing chocolate zucchini cake with whipped cream and raspberry. This cake is very chocolatey, moist and delicious.
The ingredients of this great cake are ordinary cake ingredients, nothing fancy, except the zucchini. All you’ll need for the chocolate cake are all-purpose flour, eggs, cocoa powder, butter, sugar, vanilla, and zucchini. No one will have the idea there is zucchini involved in this delicious cake until you tell them that’s actually a veggie cake. The fine-grated zucchini is invisible and could not be tasted at all, but this great vegetable makes the cake moist and special.
The preparation of the cake is simple and easy, nothing sophisticated, it takes about 20-30 minutes. Just mix together the wet ingredients, beat them until foamy, mix together the dry ingredients, then stir all together, finally fold in the grated zucchini. Baking the cakes takes about 35-45 minutes depending on the height of the cake and how moist is the zucchini.
The cake has a great taste of chocolate, together with whipped cream and raspberry makes a perfect combination. The sour raspberries rebalance the sweetness of the cake and cream. Also, this brown white and red cake looks absolutely beautiful, doesn’t it?
I chose to decorate my cake naked style. I adore naked cakes, particularly naked wedding cakes decorated with flowers! <3 It’s a great and simple way to style your cake, just spread a thick layer of frosting between two cake layers, then on the top of the cake. Let the cake layers sides be bare and visible, without outer frosting. Usually, naked cakes dry out quickly because the lack of outer layer of frosting, but this zucchini chocolate cake is moist inside, so it’s a perfect base for a beautiful naked cake. Decorate it with berries, fruits or edible flowers.
The idea of this great cake recipe is from Heather Cristo.
- 2 medium zucchini (unpeeled)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (65 g) butter
- 1¼ cups (200 g) sugar
- 1½ cups (180 g) flour
- 1⅓ cups (75 g ) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup (180 ml) milk
- pinch of salt
- 300 ml heavy / double / whipping cream
- 1-2 tablespoon sugar
- 100 g raspberry
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 355°F. Prepare a 8"/ 20 cm round cake pan. Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit on the bottom of the pan, place it in the pan, then grease the pan, including the sides well with butter.
- Shred the zucchini using a cheese grater. Set it aside in a strainer.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and the sugar until is light. Add the eggs and vanilla, beat it until is well combined and smooth. Pour one teaspoon baking soda to the batter, squeeze a little lemon juice right on the soda and let it foam, then mix them together.
- In another bowl mix carefully the flour with the baking powder, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.
- Spoon by spoon add the dry ingredient to the egg mixture and stir it. Pour a little milk
intothe mixture when it's hard to stir. Alternate this until all ingredientsare combined. Finally,add the grated zucchini. Don't squeeze it, just fold it carefully into the batter.
- Pour evenly the batter into the prepared baking pan and put it in the oven.
- Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes. Check with a toothpick if the inside of the cake is baked, when it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- When the cake is baked, remove it from the cake pan, place it on
rackand let it cool covered with a clean cloth.
- While the cake is cooling, whisk the double/heavy/whipping cream in a large bowl using a mixer for 2-3 minutes, then sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoon granulated sugar. Then beat until is light and peaks form, don't over-beat it.
- To assemble, place the cake on a cake standing. Cut the cake into two equal layers, spread the half of the whipped cream on the base, then place the second layer on the frosting, spread the rest of the cream on top of the cake, using a large knife.
- Decorate the cake with raspberries as you like. Keep the cake refrigerated min. 1 hour before serving.
Recommended products for this recipe:
Pin it for later!