It’s the most wonderful time of the year, they say! Yes,it is, after everything is prepared, cooked, baked, wrapped, decorated, clean and beautiful. I am sure I’m not the only woman who has lack of time and energy right before Christmas Eve dinner. To help guessing and preparing a delicious festive menu and to maximize your time spending with family and friends and not to stand all day in the kitchen, I have compiled a light, easy, quick and healthy Christmas dinner menu, of course all prepared with zucchini.
I recommend you a healthy and simple Christmas dinner menu including vegan appetizer, delicious main dish with roasted chicken and vegetables and beautiful brownies, all made with zucchini. After this wonderful dinner you can get your well-deserved gifts from Santa!
Vegan zucchini rolls
These amazing zucchini roll-ups could make special appetizers of the Christmas dinner. The tasty zucchini rolls are filled with hummus, pepper and cheese. These healthy starters are perfect for vegetarians or even for vegans and are incredibly delicious.
The raw zucchini with your favorite flavored hummus and your favorite vegan cheese makes a perfect combination and they looks so pretty as well. These rolls are very easy to prepare, so I recommend to make a lot of them, because you’ll quickly run out of them!
Diet: vegetarian, gluten-free, sugar-free, low carb, vegan option
- 1 large zucchini
- 100 g hummus
- 50 g vegan cheese
- 1 bell pepper
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise into thin slices using a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the bell pepper and vegan cheese into thin slices, to the same size.
- Place a spoonful hummus at the end of zucchini slice, place a slice of cheese and a slice of pepper on the same end of the strip. Roll up the zucchini starting at that end and skewer it with a toothpick.
- Repeat until you have zucchini strips.
- Store the roll-ups in the fridge.
Roasted zucchini, potato and carrot with roasted chicken drumsticks
For main dish let’s prepare some roasted vegetables with roasted chicken drumsticks. The roasted veggies are easy to prepare, you just have to cut the veggies into little chunks, season with spices and herbs, stir with olive oil, place them on a large baking dish and roast. The taste of veggies baked together is amazing. I prepared this side dish using zucchini, potato and carrots, but you can add any other vegetables you desire.
The roasted chicken drums are seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika, thyme and oregano, then rubbed with crushed garlic, barbecue sauce and olive oil, then popped into the oven. Roast both dishes on 200°C/390°F on grill fan function to save time and energy. You’ll end up with some spicy, crumbly flavorful chicken drumsticks and some very delicious veggie side dish, which will amaze your Christmas dinner guests.
Diet: gluten-free, dairy-free, clean eating
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 kg potato
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 kg chicken drumsticks
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F. Prepare a small and a larger baking dish by greasing them with butter.
- Wash the chicken drumsticks and rub them with salt, pepper, paprika as taste.
- Crush the garlic and mix it with the olive oil and herbs in a large bowl. Rub the chicken drumsticks with the mixture, leave them in the oil for 10 minutes, then transfer them on a plate and rub them with barbecue sauce.
- Place the chicken drumsticks on the smaller baking dish and place into the oven.
- Roast the chicken for about 1 hour, turning them after 30 minutes.
- While the chicken drumsticks are roasting, prepare the vegetables.
- Peel the potatoes and carrots, then cut them into little chunks. Cut the zucchinis into the same sized chunks. Put the vegetables into the bowl which contains the oil, garlic and herbs mixture. Season with salt and pepper, then stir well. Pour the content of the bowl on the large baking pan and place it into the oven.
- Roast the vegetables for 45 minutes, turning the oven to grill fan function. The roasted veggies and the roasted chicken will be ready approximately at the same time.
Vegan zucchini brownies
After an amazing Christmas dinner it’s indispensable to serve some Christmas decorated cake, cookie or anything to your satisfy sweet tooth. So, for dessert let’s prepare some delicious zucchini brownies. These brownies look like the average brownies with a moist and chewy texture and a crunchy top, but they are dairy and egg free, which makes these bars special, they are healthier and vegan. :-)
These all time favourite chocolate bar cookies are rich with cocoa and are flavoured with dark chocolate. The taste and presence of zucchini is unseen.
All you need for this great recipe are: all purpose flour, sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, baking soda, lemon juice, dark chocolate chips (optional) and ZUCCHINI. After stirring the ingredients together you may think the batter is very thick, but believe me, the moisture of zucchini will transform this dense dough into soft, moist and tasty brownies.
I decorated these chocolatey deliciousness with powdered sugar to add them Christmasy impression. Try these easy recipe and you’ll fall in love with these wonderful vegan brownies.
Diet: vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, egg free
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded, about 2 cups
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
- Shred a peeled zucchini using a cheese grater's finest part.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C /350°F. Grease and flour a baking pan.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour with the cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.
- In another bowl mix together the oil, the vanilla and the sugar, until it's well combined. Gently stir together the flour with the oil mixture. Add the baking soda and pour the lemon juice right on it and let it be foamy, then fold it. Don't panic if the dough is thick, use your hands to fold in the shredded zucchini and let it sit so the batter can absorb the moisture.
- In a small heat resistant dish pour one tablespoon water and add the dark chocolate chips, let the chocolate melt on medium heat, stirring occasionally (1-2 minutes). Stir the melted chocolate into the zucchini brownie batter.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking dish. Bake it 25-30 minutes and the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Hope you like this easy and quick Christmas dinner menu, which is easy to prepare and is ready in 2,5 hours, so you don’t have to stay in kitchen all day! Prepare the brownies and roll-ups ahead to save time! Enjoy!
I wish you and your loved ones merry Christmas and happy Holidays!
Pin it for later!