Creamy and delicious slab pie filled with cottage cheese and strawberry jam – a large pie made in baking sheet to feed the whole family
Saturday is usually cheat day for us. That’s the day when we eat anything we want, it doesn’t matter if it’s full of sugar and carbs. Since we started to eat clean, we can’t eat as half as much sweet things we were able to eat from a dessert or a pie, everything seems to be too sweet, so I think we are on right track to not miss and sweets at all. Also cheat days are great days for me to satisfy my baking addiction. So here is the slab pie I baked this time.
I’m a pie fan, because it’s easy to prepare (except the lattice pattern :D), it can be filled with almost anything you can find in your fridge and it is also freezable. The only problem with the pies is the common pie dishes are small (we can almost eat one pie at once). When it comes to feed a lot of people, it’s easier to bake one large pie, than two or three round pies. The solution is the slab pie! A slab pie is a regular pie, just larger, baked in baking sheet, it’s the perfect pie which can be shared with friends/family.
Cottage cheese is very frequently used cheese type in Eastern Europe, we use it in countless ways to fill in cakes, pies, even meats and various dishes. Sweetened cottage cheese together with fruits, jams, chocolate or whipped cream can make a great filling for any cake, it makes the pastries creamy and delicious. In this slab pie I combined the cottage cheese with strawberry jam, but feel free to use any other jam or whole strawberries.
Preparing the crust of this delicious latticed slab pie is easy, just mix all ingredients, use sour cream for an extra taste, knead the dough, divide it and roll it out. Place the dough in a baking pan, spread the cottage cheese and strawberry jam on it, finally top it with the dough stripes. Alternatively, you can simply cover the filling with a pan-sized layer of dough or crumble. If any dough remains, put it in freezer up to 3 months.
- 400 g all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 175 g butter
- 100 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2-3 tablespoon sour cream
- For the filling:
- 350 g cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 250 g strawberry jam
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder), then crumble the butter into the flour, add the egg and vanilla extract. Knead the dough with your hands or with food processor, add sour cream to dough as much as necessary to have a smooth dough. Divide the pie dough into two pieces. Place the dough into the fridge to chill for at least 10 minutes.
- Drain the excess water of cottage cheese using a cheesecloth or a stainer, the dryer the cottage cheese gets is the better. In a large bowl smash the cottage cheese using a fork or hand blender, then mix it together with the egg, lemon juice and sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C | 360°F. Prepare a large baking sheet.
- Remove the larger part of the dough from the fridge. On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough, make it larger than the baking pan and place it into it.
- Pile the cottage cheese evenly on top of the dough, then spoon the strawberry jam on top of it.
- Roll out the rest of dough and cut it into 2-3 cm | 1-inch stripes. Arrange and weave the stripes in lattice pattern (see the instructions here) on top of the pie. Trim the sides of pastry.
- Bake the slab pie for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Remove the pie from oven and let it cool before slicing (the filling will solidify when the pie is totally cooled).
Recommended products for this recipe:
Pin it for later!