One pot chicken breast and mushrooms in a creamy cheesy sauce with Zoodles, quick and healthy dinner recipe
I’m back after the holidays – when we had way too many cheat days eating a lot of carbs – with a great new low carb and healthy zoodle recipe: chicken and mushroom zucchini noodles in creamy, cheesy, garlicky sauce. This one pot meal is great choice if you’re looking for a healthy recipe on busy weekdays.
This amazing one pot recipe is made by: chicken breast, fresh mushrooms, onion, garlic, milk, heavy (double) cream, Parmesan, zucchini noodles and seasoning. First let’s sauté the onion, garlic, chicken breast cubes and the mushroom slices, then add the dairy products, season it with oregano, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper to get an amazingly flavorful sauce. When the sauce is ready, add the zucchini noodles and the grated cheese and bring it to boil, then remove it from heat and serve this perfect dish. Easy, isn’t it?
This sauce is thick before adding the zoodles, but the zucchini will release moister during cooking, making the sauce a little bit watery. I recommend not to cook the zucchini noodles long, 2-3 minutes are enough. Cooking the zoodles longer, makes the sauce too watery and the zucchini noodles mushy. My sauce was just perfect, not too thick and not too thin and the zoodles were crunchy but not raw.
If you want to thicken the sauce, squeeze the zucchini noodles using a cheese cloth before adding it to the sauce, or whisk one tablespoon cornstarch with one tablespoon milk and add the mixture to the boiling sauce or simply add more cheese to the dish.
Me and my family are creamy cheesy chicken skillet fans, we adore every version of the dish, specially if it’s prepared with zucchini noodles instead of spaghetti or pasta. If you do too, this easy and yummy one pot skillet creamy chicken with zoodles will be your favorite as well.
This chicken skillet dish is ready in 35 minutes, is gluten-free, low carb and super delicious. If you want to cut calories, use half-half, reduced fat cooking cream, skimmed milk and / or cashew/coconut milk. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
Diet: gluten-free, low-carb, clean eating
- 1 skinless boneless chicken breast 220g | 7.7 oz
- 150 g | 5 oz mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cup heavy (double) cream
- ½ cup Parmesan or any other grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large zucchini
- Chop the onion and garlic. Cut the chicken breast into little cubes, slightly season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet heat one tablespoon olive oil on medium-heat, add the onion, cook for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic, after 1-2 minutes add the chicken. Sauté the chicken, stirring occasionally until is white, about 7-8 minutes.
- Chop the mushroom into slices, add to chicken and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until the mushroom is softened. Pour the milk and cream into skillet, season the sauce with salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme and oregano and whisk to incorporate. Cook it on low-heat for 5-8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- While the creamy chicken is cooking, prepare the zoodles.
- Add the zoodles to skillet, mix it with the sauce, add the grated Parmesan or any other cheese and bring it to boil. Don't cook the zoodles longer than 2 minutes, to avoid the zoodles become mushy and the sauce to become watery.
- Serve it immediately.
Pin it for later!