Easy cheesy green vegetable lasagna packed with a lot of veggies, like zucchini, broccoli, celery, green onion and mushrooms.
This vegetarian lasagna is a huge hit in my family, it’s tasty, creamy, cheesy, you can sneak a lot of vegetables in it, even using leftover veggies. And it’s a LASAGNA, who doesn’t like lasagna?
I prepared this great green lasagna using these vegetables: zucchini, broccoli, celery, green onions, mushrooms and garlic. Feel free to add your favorite veggies in it, like spinach or (aubergine) eggplant – next time I will definitely add some spinach in my lasagna, because I’ve heard spinach lasagnas are great. :)
Cook the vegetables and prepare the white bachamel sauce, then assemble your lasagna. In a greased casserole spread a little white sauce, then layer the pasta sheets, spread the vegetables, pour some sauce and top with lasagna sheets, repeat until running out of veggies. Top the lasagna with noodles, spread white sauce abundantly on it, finally sprinkle with your favorite cheese, place in the oven and bake it for 35-40 minutes. The lasagna makes a great leftover too, cool it and store it in the fridge for 2-3 days.
My three layered lasagna was so rich and hearty, we were very satisfied with it and we can’t wait to eat our leftover lasagna slices. Even we like pasta dishes with tomato sauce, this lasagna is so creamy, it doesn’t need any tomato sauce or ketchup.
Green vegetable lasagna is an amazingly tasty meatless dish, it’s simple and easy to prepare, it’s ready within an hour and you can use fresh summer veggies full of vitamins. So it’s this lasagna is a perfect comfort food, isn’t it?
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small broccoli
- 2-3 spring (green) onion
- 2-3 celery sticks
- 1 handful mushroom (5-6 pieces)
- ¾ cup | 100 g grated cheese
- 200 g lasagna sheets
- for the white sauce:
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups | 700 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- black pepper
- Chop the celery sticks, garlic, green onion, zucchini and mushrooms into small pieces. In a large pot heat 2 tablespoon olive oil, then add the chopped garlic and green onions, simmer them and add the chopped celery. Cook it for 5 minutes on medium heat, then add the chopped mushroom, finally the zucchini pieces. Stir and season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pot and let them cook for 6-8 minutes until are tender.
- In another pot heat salted water. When the water is boiling, add the broccoli florets and cook them for 5 minutes until are almost softened.
- In a third pot melt two tablespoons of butter for the bechamel white sauce. When the butter is melted, add 5 tablespoons of flour, stir it continuously and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Season the sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook it for 5-8 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/355ºF.
- Spread one spoonful white sauce over the base of a medium sized casserole. Layer a line of lasagna sheet on the sauce, then top it with ⅓ of the vegetables (including the broccoli), cover them with white sauce, then top with a layer of pasta sheet. Repeat the layers two more times.
- Finish with a layer of pasta followed by white sauce. Make sure the white sauce covers the pasta sheet throughly. Sprinkle the top of the lasagna with grated cheese.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 20 minutes until the top of veggie lasagna is bubbling and lightly browned.
Recommended products for this recipe:
Pin it for later!