Crumbly and juicy Teriyaki chicken drumsticks cooked in slow cooker
I finally had time to try to prepare homemade Teriyaki chicken in our new slow cooker, fortunately it came out really good. The meat was crumbly and tender, it just melt in our mouth, but it didn’t fell of the bone. The Teriyaki sauce was good and flavorful as well, not too sweet, just right.
First I prepared the Teriyaki sauce from scratch, it’s healthier and better than store bought, which is full of refined sugar. In this sauce I used honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, water and cornstarch. For a more healthier sauce use organic cornstarch.
When the sauce is ready, dip every drumsticks into the sauce, then cook them for 3-4 minutes on each sides, until the sauce is caramelized on the chicken and the drumsticks are a little bit browned. Then transfer them into the slow cooker, coat them with the sauce and cook for 3-4 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on slow.
My sauce thickened in the slow cooker, without adding more cornstarch, just leave the sauce in the slow cooker for 5-10 minutes after removing the chicken drumsticks. If the sauce is no thick enough, add one tablespoon cornstarch to sauce, whisk it and cook covered for 10 minutes. If the Teriyaki sauce is too thick, add a little bit of water in it and cook it for 10 minutes. The perfect Teriyaki sauce has to be juicy, sticky and thick.
Serve the chicken drumstick coated with the Teriyaki sauce, with (brown) rice and steamed vegetables, garnish with sesame seed and sliced green onion.
This honey Teriyaki chicken dish is easy to prepare, it’s a great recipe to cook in a Crockpot. Enjoy this delicious, juicy and healthier version of well-known Asian food!
Diet: clean eating, dairy free
- 1 kg (6-8) chicken drumsticks about 1-2 drumsticks/person
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 green onion
- Clean the chicken drumsticks, then season them with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, honey, water, garlic, ginger and cornstarch in a bowl or directly in the slow cooker.
- Preheat a large skillet with one tablespoon olive oil. Dip every drumsticks into the teriyaki sauce then place them into the skillet and cook them for 3 minutes, then flip them, cook until the sauce is caramelized on the chicken.
- Transfer the drumsticks into the slow cooker and coat them with the teriyaki sauce. Cook the chicken on High for 3,5-4 hours or on Low for 6-8 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked, turn off the cooker and remove the drumsticks. Let the Teriyaki sauce in the cooker, uncovered for 5-10 minutes until thickens. Then coat the drumstick with the sauce and transfer them on a serving plate, sprinkle them with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
- Serve the teriyaki chicken with rice and/or vegetables.
Recipe adapted from ifoodreal.com.
Pin it for later!