Healthy, gluten-free, low-carb sweet potato and zucchini casserole with chicken breast, topped Parmesan
Today’s recipe is a healthy and delicious chicken and veggie casserole recipe. I’ve always liked these simple veggie and meat casseroles because are easy to prepare, usually are healthy and you don’t have to bother with side dish. Also the flavors in casseroles are so deliciously combined, it’s always a pleasure to eat this meal. And I almost forgot, the grated cheese on top of casserole is the best! If you’re a casserole fan, just like me, check out this super delicious creamy cheesy vegetarian Zucchini and potato casserole recipe or this easy clean zucchini and chicken breast casserole recipe.
For this great casserole you’ll need just five!! ingredients (spices not included): sweet potato, zucchini, chicken breast, Parmesan or any other grated cheese and olive oil. For seasoning just use the most basic spices: salt, black pepper, paprika and if you desire garlic powder, thyme, or your favorite herb.
The preparation of the casserole is simple and easy: cook the chicken breast slices in a skillet until are white, then transfer them into a baking pan. Lay the sweet potato and zucchini slices alternately on top of the chicken and finally sprinkle the top of the casserole with cheese. Toss the casserole into the oven, bake for 30 minutes, until the veggies are tender but not mushy and the cheese is golden brown. Easy, right?
Using just a few ingredients you can prepare a simple and hearty dinner in just 45 minutes. This sweet potato, zucchini and chicken breast casserole is not just flavorful, it gives your dinner a perfect autumn mood or it could be perfect main dish for a Halloween dinner party.
Sweet potato and zucchini both are super healthy, low-carb, low-fat veggies, full of vitamins and nutrients. These veggies are perfect complementary for chicken breast in an easy and healthy casserole. The casserole fits well in low-carb, gluten-free and clean eating diets – it’s a great news for potato lovers like us, to replace the white potatoes with the sweet ones to get tasty and much healthier dishes. Hope you’ll like this colorful casserole recipe!
Diet: low-carb, gluten-free, clean eating, low-fat, sugar-free
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 medium sweet potatoes ( 350g / 12 oz)
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 100 g (⅓ cup) grated Parmesan or any other hard cheese
- black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- olive oil
- Cut the chicken breast lengthwise into thin slices, season them with salt, pepper and paprika on both sides. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet and sear the chicken breast slices until the meat becomes white, 3-4 minutes on both sides.
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/355℉ and prepare a casserole pan.
- While the chicken breast is cooking, slice the unpeeled zucchini and the peeled sweet potato into ¼ inch - ½ cm slices.
- When the chicken breasts are ready, transfer them into the pan. Pour the remaining olive oil from the skillet to the pan. Season the meat with garlic powder if you desire.
- Alternate the sweet potato and zucchini slices on top of chicken, season them with a pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle the veggies with olive oil. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with grated Parmesan.
- Place the casserole into the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes until the veggies are throughly cooked and the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve it hot!
Please note, that I’m not a nutritional professional. I provide nutritional information for my recipes based on calculation made on YUMMLY (you can sign up for free, use the Yum button to save my recipes and see the nutritional information). I advice you to calculate independently the accurate nutritional information on your own, based on type of ingredients you are using and by weighting out your on food. Thank you for understanding!
Recommended products for this recipe:
Pin it for later!
Looking for similar recipes? Check these out!