Yesterday I cooked an easy and quick vegetarian pasta for dinner, a great tomato pasta with zucchini and mushroom. This creamy pasta is easy to prepare, cooks in less then 30 minutes and tastes great as well.
This creamy tomato pasta has just a few ingredients: zucchini, mushrooms, red onion, garlic, tomato sauce, oil and your fav pasta. I served fettuccine with the veggie tomato sauce.
After simmering the onion, cook the veggies, then pour the tomato sauce and cream on top of them, cook them throughly and voilá, the creamy veggie tomato sauce is ready. Pour the sauce on the cooked pasta and serve with! That’s it! Easy, isn’t it?
The great part of this recipe is you can vary the veggies, use you favorite vegetables or even meat for this pasta recipe. I’ve prepared this tomato pasta in a couple of variation using chicken breast fillets and even green peas. The creamy tomato sauce is a great base, experiment with it bravely.
We are huge cheese lovers, so we couldn’t eat this great dish without cheese. I crumbled feta cheese on top of the pasta, but feel free to grate your favorite cheese on it. Enjoy!
- 1 medium zucchini
- 200 g mushrooms (6-8 pieces)
- 1 red onion
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1½ cup organic tomato sauce
- 1 cup single cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 g pasta
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- black pepper
- Chop a red onion and 1-2 cloves of garlic. Slice the unpeeled zucchini into small equal pieces, chop the mushrooms into the same sized pieces.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and simmer it on medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and the zucchini chunks, cook them stirring frequently. When the zucchini is almost softened, add the mushrooms.
- When the veggies are throughly cooked, pour the tomato sauce into the skillet and cook for 5-8 minutes. Season it with salt, pepper and thyme. Finally pour the cream to the sauce, stir it and cook for another 3 minutes, then remove the skillet from heat.
- While the tomato veggie sauce is cooking, cook the pasta al dente.
- Serve the pasta immediately with the tomato sauce on top, if you desire grate cheese or crumble feta on top of the dish.
Pin it for later!