I had two zucchinis at home and I wanted to use them in a special way. Lately I prepared a lot of pasta and chicken recipes using my good old zucchini friend and now I wanted something easier and lighter.
While I was thinking on a new recipe, my spouse reminded me how long we have not eaten baked stuffed zucchini. Yeah, that’s right. It was exactly three month ago when I posted a pork stuffed zucchini boats recipe, since then I haven’t prepared zucchini in this fabulous way.
So it was the time to make a new stuffed zucchini recipe, but this time I wanted a veggie filling inside the boats. So here we are: I prepared a zucchini boat recipe with a vegan filling which contains six tasty veggies.
The vegan filling is a little bit tricky. The boats are stuffed with mashed boiled potato, cooked zucchini, onion and garlic mixture, then topped with bell pepper, tomato and red onion and sprinkled with vegan cheese.
These delicious boats are easy to prepare and are ready in 40 minutes – starting with the preparation of the filling, the stuffing and baking. You can save time if you have some leftover mashed potatoes. I usually have, we don’t like the mashed potatoes on the next day, so I reuse them in other recipes.
These delicious stuffed zucchini boats could be perfect for weeknight budget meal, are simple to prepare, the ingredients can be found in every fridge and you can feel free to change the veggies as you like. And I almost forgot: this meal is healthy as well, it’s gluten-free, low-carb and vegan.
If you are looking for a gluten-free, clean eating, low-carb and/or vegan recipe, this recipe is for you! Enjoy these colorful zucchini boats stuffed with a lot of veggies!
Diet: gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, clean eating
- 3-4 medium zucchinis
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 1½ medium red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 100 g grated vegan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- Chop one red onion, then simmer it on one tablespoon olive oil.
- Cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides using a spoon or melon scooper and chop them. Add the chopped zucchini to the onion, cook it stirring occasionally.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes and cook in salted water.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ °F and grease an overproof dish.
- Season the zucchini boats with salt and pepper as taste and brush them with a little oil. If your zucchinis are big or thick or you prefer them very soft, bake them in the oven for 10 minutes before filling. The average medium sized zucchinis become soft without pre-baking them.
- Cut the tomatoes and bell pepper into little chunks, cut a half red onion into thin slices, put them aside.
- When the potato is cooked, drain it and smash it. Stir it to the cooked zucchini and onion mixture, season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Stuff the zucchini boats with the potato mixture. Place the tomato, pepper and red onion slices on the top of the boats' filling. Sprinkle the top of zucchini boats with your favorite grated vegan cheese.
- Put the vegan zucchini boats in the prepared dish, place them into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve the zucchini boats warm.
Pin it for later!