Easy gluten-free, vegetarian dinner or side dish recipe: zucchini and potato casserole, baked in garlicky cream and topped with cheese
Today I prepared this easy vegetarian zucchini and potato casserole for dinner. We are potato lovers, we love it in every single way is prepared and I can honestly say you, this casserole is now on top of our favourite potato dishes list. :) Zucchini and potato combination cannot be bad, especially baked with garlic cream and cheese. So here it is: this delicious casserole is really simple to prepare and the result is amazing.
The casserole is great, because is easy to make, the has just a few ingredients and it’s ready in 35 minutes. Beside the zucchini and potato you will need some single cream, garlic, butter, herbs and your favorite cheese. Attention: slice the potato into thin slices or raise the baking time, otherwise the potato will be uncooked.
Baking the potato and zucchini uncovered for 15 minutes, makes the veggies a little crispy. Pouring the garlic and cream mixture over the veggies, makes them cook thoroughly and gives the casserole a great flavor. And the cheese … Everyone loves the melted cheese on top of the meals. Right?
The great part of this recipe is you can add any other vegetable, mushroom or bacon slices between the potato and zucchini, anything you like or you have in your fridge. Next time I’ll prepare this casserole complementing with tomato and bacon slices – not because I didn’t like this version of the casserole, it was great, I just like experimenting with food – and I will show you my modified casserole.
Serve the casserole with salad or with grilled meat or with anything you’re craving. Enjoy this gluten-free tasteful dish!
Diet: vegetarian, gluten-free, sugar-free
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3-4 medium size potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup | 200 ml cream
- ¼ cup | 50 g butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon freshly chopped oregano
- one handful grated cheese (Parmesan)
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into thin slices. It's important to slice the potatoes into ¼ inch / 0,5 cm thick slices, otherwise will be uncooked.
- Slice the zucchini into thin slices, as well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F. Grease an ovenproof dish with two tablespoons olive oil.
- Place the zucchini and potato slices alternately into the dish, overlapping slightly and season with salt as taste. Put the casserole into the oven and bake it for 12-15 minutes.
- While the vegetables are baking, cook the cream.
- Boil 200 ml single cream, add the butter and crushed garlic. Season it with salt, pepper and oregano. Cook it for 3-4 minutes, then pour the hot mixture over the zucchini and potato casserole.
- Sprinkle the top of the dish with grated cheese.
- Place the casserole back to the oven and bake it for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Before serving make sure the potatoes are thoroughly cooked, if are not, return the casserole to the oven and continue baking for a couple of minutes.
Recommended products for this recipe:
Pin it for later!