Moist and delicious zucchini banana muffins with chocolate chips – a healthier way to eat muffins
Last week we had a guest, my boyfriend’s cousin visited us. I baked her some welcoming muffins, of course made with zucchini. Everyone who is coming to us wants me to feed them with zucchini, mainly zucchini treats and zoodles which are not often prepared by my family and friends. This time I was sure I’ll bake zucchini muffins because it’s easy to make and everybody loves them, but I wanted to find a healthier and more special recipe.
I was browsing on Pinterest when I found Erin’s recipe, which was exactly I was looking for: a moist, fluffy and healthy zucchini muffins recipe made with banana and chocolate chips. It was a great choice, these muffins are very delicious and flavorful.
When you have one lonely zucchini in your fridge and some forgotten ripe bananas in the fruit basket, you are in baking mood craving for sweets, this is the best recipe for you! For these muffins you’ll also need honey, coconut oil, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, eggs, baking powder, baking soda and your favorite chocolate chips.
This recipe is healthier than other muffin recipes, but I was still using regular ingredients. These muffins do not contain butter, just coconut oil, the muffin’s moisture is coming from the banana and zucchini. I replaced the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, the white sugar with brown sugar + honey so slightly I reduced the carbs in the muffins.
Zucchini, banana and chocolate is always a great combination. We all enjoyed these tasty and moist muffins, even my boyfriend couldn’t resist to eat two muffins at once, while he strongly insists to eat clean and he haven’t ate sweet things for more than 2 months. So we warmly recommend you these irresistible zucchini banana chocolate chips muffins!
Calories: 1 muffin about 200 calories
- 1 medium zucchini shredded (2 cups)
- 1-1,5 ripe banana (1 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1,5 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cups chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F and prepare 12 muffin cups and a muffin tin.
- Shred the zucchini, then set it aside in a colander. Melt the coconut oil, then let it cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl beat together the banana, honey, coconut oil, vanilla, brown sugar and two eggs, using a hand mixer. When the batter is smooth and well combined, spoon the flour and stir into the batter using a spatula, then add the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- Squeeze the shredded zucchini to remove the excess of water, then fold into the batter. Finally fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups. Bake the zucchini muffins for 25 minutes, then remove the pan and place on a wire rack and let it cool for 5-10 minutes, before removing the muffin cups. Serve the muffins when are totally cooled.
Pin it for later!