Cinnamon, zucchini carrot cake with a delicious cream cheese frosting, topped with chopped walnuts
If you like carrot cake and zucchini bread, you’ll love these two combined into a delicious and hearty cake, topped with a smooth cream cheese frosting. This fun twist of carrot cake and zucchini bread, is the best way to sneak some vegetables into your dessert.
This delicious cake is soft and moist due to shredded carrot and zucchini, also the light, fluffy and sweet cream cheese frosting adds some extra softness to it. This not too sweet zucchini carrot cake is perfectly-spiced, it has a pleasing cinnamon flavor.
The classic frosting is creamy, fluffy and light, it gives the cake a smooth finish. For a better finish garnish the cake with chopped or whole walnuts or pecans. If you desire decorate your cake with shaved carrot. I used vegetable peeler to get these pretty strips, then I rolled them up and placed them on top of my cake (which actually was our Easter cake).
This zucchini carrot cake merges the deliciousness of carrot cakes and moisture of zucchini breads into a tender, dense and spicy cake, together with the light cream cheese, powdered sugar and butter frosting, the cake is just heavenly good.
This moist and dense cake is made with whole wheat flour, but feel free to make it with all-purpose flour, the texture will be fine. The batter works perfectly good for muffins or bread/loaf as well.
As you can see I’m not confectioner or a baker, my cake isn’t perfect, it could have a better shape (I baked the cake in one round baking pan, because I don’t have two same-size cake pans), but for a quick and easy cake it’s good, which also tastes incredibly good.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups | 235 g whole wheat flour
- 1 cup | 140 g shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (1 medium)
- 1¼ cup | 250 g sugar
- ½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the frosting:
- 8 oz | 225 g cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ - 1 cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C | 350°F. Grease two 9-in round baking pans.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla until completely blended, then add the oil, whisk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Add the mixture to the eggs, whisk them together until well combined. Fold in the shredded carrots and zucchini, stir until combined.
- Divide, then spoon the batter into 2 greased baking pans and place them into the preheated oven.
- Bake the cake for 35-38 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from pans, then cool them completely on wire rack before frosting.
- While the cake is cooling prepare the cream cheese frosting. Beat the cream cheese and the butter in a large bowl, until smooth, then add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until the sugar is dissolved and the cream is perfectly smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- When the cake is thoroughly cooled, place on cake on a serving plate, spread the top with frosting, then place the other cake on the top, press it gently to adhere. Spread the frosting on the top and all sides of the cake.
- Garnish the cake with chopped and whole walnuts and shaved carrot strips, if you desire.
Recommended products for this recipe:
Pin it for later!