Zucchini hot dogs are tasty and funny dinner for the kids or you can serve this amazing party food for guests.
The ingredients are almost the same as the traditional hot dogs, just instead of hot dog bun we used zucchini. It’s healthier than the original hot dogs, but are delicious like on the street. :)
Before filling the zucchini boats with the hot dog frankfurter, cook the zucchini to be softer. Spread the ketchup and mustard on the cooked boats, place the frankfurters and throw them in the oven.
Bake the hot dogs in the oven for 20 minutes. The whole family will love this delicious and funny zucchini hot dogs.
If you’re interested in the full recipe, just keep reading!
- 8 small zucchinis
- 8 hot dog frankfurters
- 8 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 8 tablespoons ketchup
- 8 cheese slices
- 150 g grated cheese
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Cut both of the edges of the washed zucchini, peel them if it's necessary, then cut them in half lengthwise. With a teaspoon scoop out the seeds.
- Put the zucchini boats in a food steamer for 10 minutes, if you don’t have food steamer, put the courgettes in 2 l boiling water for 6-7 minutes. Make sure the zucchini boats are not too softened.
- Meanwhile the zucchinis are steaming, preheat the oven to 180°C/360°F.
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a pan and fry the frankfurters for 2-3 minutes, you can grill them as well.
- When the zucchinis are ready, dry them and season with salt and pepper. Place 8 zucchini boats
ona greased baking tray, brush them with mustard and ketchup, lay a cheese slice and a frankfurter in each boats, top them with a zucchini boat, sprinkle the top with grated cheese.
- Put the zucchini hot dogs in the oven for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve them immediately!