Healthy, gluten-free, low-carb homemade bolognese sauce with zucchini noodles.
We are back from our vacation form Spain and we are continuing our healthy eating lifestyle. In Spain we tried to eat clean but we gave up on it the very first day, we couldn’t say no to tapas, paellas, ice creams, beers and street foods. Beside the carbs, we ate super delicious foods, amazing ice creams and it was stunning to spend our nights on the beach or terrace with a glass of wine/beer. But we are home again, everything is back to normal so we’re continuing to have a healthy lifestyle.
As soon as we got home, I ordered my first spiralizer, so I don’t have to struggle anymore with zoodle preparation. I have a Salter 3 blade fruit and veggie spiralizer which is great, using it is easy and makes amazing zucchini noodles. So I’ve decided to make a low-carb classic Italian bolognese sauce with healthy zucchini noodles.
For this delicious meal all you’ll need are minced pork, beef or turkey, red onion, celery stalks, garlic, tomato pasta, tomato chunks, olive oil and zucchini. In a large skillet heat the olive oil, simmer the onion, the minced garlic, the celery, then stir in the ground meat until is brown. Add the tomato sauce and the tomato chunks, the herbs and cook until the meat is ready. Sauté the zucchini noodles on a little olive oil and garlic for 2-3 minutes and it’s ready to serve. For better result, serve the zucchini noodles and sauce with grated Parmesan.
This great meal is just super delicious, but it’s healthier and lighter than the classic Italian Spaghetti Bolognese. Replacing the noodles with zoodles is a perfect way to eat healthier, whoever came up with this idea was a genius! One medium zucchini has 33 calories, 6.1 grams of total carbohydrates and 2.0 grams of fiber, which works out to only 4.1 grams of net carbs, however one cup of cooked spaghetti has 221 calories, 43 grams of total carbohydrates, but trust me, this dish tastes so good with zoodles, you won’t miss the pasta at all. Give it a try!
Diet: gluten-free, low-carb, dairy-free
- For Bolognese sauce:
- 300 g pork mince (or turkey or beef)
- 1 red onion
- 1-2 celery stalks
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup tomato chunks (fresh or from can)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- For zucchini noodles:
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large skillet heat 2 tbsp olive oil, add the chopped onion and sauté the onion, add the crushed garlic and the finely dices celery stalks, cook them for -12 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Add the minced meat, break into small pieces using a spatula, cook until is crumbled and brown, stirring continuously. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Pour the tomato paste on the meat and add the crushed tomato, oregano and basil. Combine the sauce well and cook covered on low heat for 30-35 minutes.
- Occasionally stir the bolognese sauce, add water or more tomato paste if necessary.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare the zoodles. Using a spiralizer, mandolin or vegetable peeler, cut the zucchini into noodles.
- In a large pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, sauté 1 clove garlic, then add the zucchini noodles. Simmer the noodles on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, tossing them continuously. Do not overcook the noodles because they'll be soggy.
- Place the zoodles in plate, top with the bolognese sauce and garnish with grated cheese for your taste.
Pin it for later!