Easy, healthy zucchini tots, loaded with carrots, onion and fresh garden zucchini, baked in the oven and served with your favorite dip.
Pinterest is full of tot recipes nowadays, I’ve seen a lot of veggie tots loaded with broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots and even sweet potatoes. I got the idea to bake some tots for the first time, but I was a little confused since I have never eaten tots before and I wasn’t sure how will these little tots look and taste like. I think I did it pretty well, the tots were delicious and flavourful, although the tot’s texture wasn’t the best, but now I know what I did wrong.
For these great tots you will need just a few ingredients, mainly healthy ones: zucchini, carrots, onion, egg, cheese, breadcrumbs and spices. I’ve tried to make these zucchini tots gluten-free, but the grated vegetables combined with the eggs and cheese will not stick together properly, the tots will be tacky and difficult to shape, so I realised beside these ingredients I will need some breadcrumbs. But at least you can use gluten-free breadcrumbs!
Preparing is easy, just grate the zucchini and squeeze it, then combine with the shredded veggies, add the grated cheese (cheddar or parmesan, or both), one egg, the seasoning and 3-4 tablespoons breadcrumbs, combined them together, if it’s too viscous, add more breadcrumbs. Form the mixture into tots in your palm, place them on prepared baking sheet and toss them into the oven.
Bake the tots for 10 minutes, then flip them using a spatula and bake for another 10 minutes, until the tots are golden-brown. Serve the zucchini tots warm with your favorite dip. I recommend serving them with ketchup or sour cream.
These healthy veggies tots are easy to prepare, particularly if you have small helping hands around. Serve the tots as appetizer, side dish or simple vegetarian dinner. Just don’t forget to wring out the water from zucchini to get non sticky and crisp tots – yeah the tots are actually a little crispy on the edges and soft inside.
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1 egg
- 3-4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 100 g grated cheese (Parmesan or cheddar)
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- black pepper
- Grate one unpeeled zucchini using a cheese grater, season with salt and combine it, then set it aside in a colander, let the liquid drain out from zucchini. After 10 minutes transfer it in a clean dish towel an drain as much as you can, removing the excess of water from the grated zucchini.
- Shred the carrots, cheese and onion, transfer them into a large bowl, combine them together with the zucchini, egg and breadcrumbs. Season the mixture with oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or spray it with cooking spray.
- Spoon one tablespoon zucchini in your hand and form a tot. If the mixture is too wet and sticky, add more breadcrumbs. Place the tots on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the tots for 10 minutes, flip them and bake for another 10 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Serve them warm with your favourite dip.
Pin it for later!